Rant: Efficient Workflows
- Pull up cookie clicker.
- Point out that the efficient strategy is to get upgrades ASAP,
whether they're linear or mutiplicative.
Example upgrades for programming:
- Touch typing.
- Save some time typing.
- Save getting distracted to find a key.
- Getting an editor with automatic indentation and syntax highlighting.
- Syntax highlighting automatically catches many syntax errors, saving
a whole try-to-compile and then debug cycle each time.
- Getting a keyboard-focused editor and learning the keybindings.
- In vim, swapping two lines is 3 keystrokes.
- Becoming familiar with the libraries you're using.
- Especially the standard library for your language.
- How do you convert a string to a long in C?
- Autocompletion doesn't replace this.
- Learn your environment's debugger in some detail. For us, that's GDB.
- You'll see more upgrade opportunities. I suggest prioritizing them, even
if it costs some time right now, even if you're not sure it's an upgrade.
Discuss the Homework
- Pull it up on bottlenose
- Write task in C
- Then rewrite it in ASM
- No compiler output
- Pull up solution directory
- Show calc running.