Topic: Launching a Rocket to Orbit
- Rocket works by shooting hot gas backwards to push rocket forwards.
- Go up to get above atmosphere and avoid drag.
- Go sideways fast enough to miss planet when falling down (~2200 m/s @ Kerbin)
Stuff a launch script needs to do:
- Intially launch rocket.
- Staging: When a rocket stage gets empty, we need to drop it and start the
- Point rocket in correct direction at each point in the flight.
- Stop burning when apoapsis reaches target altitude.
- Calculate and perform circularization burn at apoapsis.
- Minimize time spent with rocket thrusting up against gravity.
- Avoid going too fast through atmosphere, drag costs energy.
- The traditional plan is a "gravity turn".
- This can be handled with a function from altitude to angle.
- I like using "sin" to generate smooth curves, but that may not be optimal.